Thank you for considering employment with Plumas Helitack. Please browse through all the information available on this site to give you a better picture of the crew and the expectations of being a helicopter crewmember. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the Superintendent or Captain. If possible stop by the base to meet the crew.
Hiring is conducted annually with the first round at the end of January and a second round at the end of February if needed. Open positions are for GS-04 and GS-05 Forestry Technicians. Applicants are encouraged to apply at both levels, regardless of previous experience. You should have your application in before January 25th to be considered for the first round. Every year approximately 200 applications are received for 1-3 vacancies. It is important that you take your time and build your resume to be competitive.
Applicants must be available for the entire period from April 25th through October 31st, and must have 90 days of previous wildland fire experience. GS-05 applicants must be FFT1 qualified and have completed S-290.
How to Apply
- Go to USAJobs.gov
- Click on "Advanced Search."
- Copy and paste the appropriate announcement number below for your desired grade level into the "Keyword Search" box.
- Click "Search Jobs."
- Click on the job description header.
- Click on the "Apply Online" button.
- To be considered for Plumas Helitack you must select Quincy, Ca. as your duty station location.
Temporary Employee News from our Public affairs officer (as of 12/12/17)
The following positions may start as early as April and usually end in September; new hires could work up to a total of 26 weeks.
Job announcements will be posted in USA Jobs initially during January although other announcements may be posted later in the season. The first five-day vacancy announcement for fire temporary jobs will open Monday, January 9 and close on Friday, January 13. The vacancy announcement period for non-fire temporary jobs starts January 17 and ends January 23.
Applicants may apply for these jobs through the USA Jobs website at http://www.usajobs.gov.
- Be sure that you have updated contact info for all previous supervisors. If we are unable to verify your employment and obtain references your application will not be considered.
- References should be able to verify your employment, validate your experience, and provide insight into your work ethic, physical fitness, and attitude.
- IN YOUR OWN WORDS provide a brief description of your present and previous positions, including non-fire jobs. List bullets for your specific duties, accomplishments and awards.
- Include team sports, clubs, and extracurricular activities that show leadership and teamwork. List your exercise regimen.
- Include any additional awards and specific accomplishments beyond those listed in your work experience.
- List any additional applicable skills, e.g., welding, carpentry, computers, etc.
- Be sure to include all required documentation (an IQCS Master Record must be attached to your application).
- Ensure you have the correct location (QUINCY, CA) checked on your online application.
- DO NOT overstate your skill set. Employees are expected to live up to their resumes.
Tips for Veterans
- Ensure you attach all applicable documents including your DD-214, as requested.
- It is understood that references may be currently deployed; try to provide alternative references of past supervisors. Contact the crew superintendent if you foresee issues with your references.
- Be aware that crew physical fitness expectations are quite a bit higher than those of the military. Please do not rely on successful completion of basic training as a measure of your physical fitness capability and compatibility with the crew.
- If you need help with the application process feel free to call the heliport at (530) 283-7836.