Plumas National Forest

The Plumas National Forest occupies 1,146,000 acres of scenic mountain lands in the northern Sierra Nevada.

Management of the Plumas National Forest has been the responsibility of the Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, since the Forest was established by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1905.
Situated in the Sierra Nevada, just south of the Cascade Range, the Plumas is versatile in its land features, uncrowded, and enhanced by a pleasant climate. Outdoor enthusiasts are attracted year round to its many streams and lakes, beautiful deep canyons, rich mountain valleys, meadows, and lofty peaks.
Beginning in the foothill country near Lake Oroville, the Plumas extends through heavily timbered slopes and into the rugged high country near U.S. Highway 395. State Highway 70 between Oroville and U.S. Highway 395 provides year round access, and State Highway 89 provides convenient connections through Tahoe.
There are three Ranger Districts on the Forest including the Feather River RD in Oroville, the Mt. Hough RD in Quincy, and the Beckwourth RD in Mohawk.  The Forest hosts Plumas Helitack, Plumas Hotshots, Feather River Hotshots, the Beckwourth Type 2 IA Crew, 3 Fire Dozers, Patrols, a water tender, and multiple Type 3 Engines on the 3 Districts.  The Forest has an active fuels program in which all suppression resources take part.